Monday, December 24, 2007

The Best Gift of Christmas

This Christmas has flown by. The season is flying by so fast, that times of reflection have been few.

So as things begin to settle down this afternoon in our house. I think I am the most thankful for my wife pulling out an old recipe that my mother used to make. Those that know me well know that my mother passed a little over ten years ago. She had a recipe that she made a few times a year called "Nuts and Bolts". It was basically a mixture of cheerios, Corn Chex, and pretzel sticks with this great sauce baked in.

It was a delicacy that I had not tasted since a year or two before she passed. I have always missed it, especially at Christmas time.

A couple of nights ago, my wife surprises me by asking me to help her in the kitchen...something I should do more often, but it is a rarity for her to ask. She showed me that she had obtained the recipe and laid out the ingredients for the sauce. I actually mixed it myself. We worked together to cook it over a two hour period, stirring every 15 minutes.

I has quite happy with my other gifts. However, I must say that this gift from my past meant more to me this Christmas than any other gift I received.

No comments: